Current Students

Incoming Student Requirements

You’ve Been Accepted! Here’s what you need to do:

1. Initiate your university internet account.

Your UMN internet ID is the key to online services such as your email account, registration, tuition, billing statements, and the student One Stop website.

To initiate the account, you will need your student ID number, which is listed on the admission letter you received from the Student Services Center. Note: If you did not include your social security or date of birth on your application, leave the field(s) blank on the initiation screen.

2. Set up your email

Initiate your UMN Gmail account or by calling Technology Help Line at 612-301-4357 (1-HELP).

All SPH students are required to use their UMN Gmail account. You are responsible for all information sent to your University Gmail account. Registration, immunization, billing, financial aid information, and more will be sent to this account. You are encouraged not to forward it to an outside account to ensure protection of private data and timely reception.

The School of Public Health relies heavily on email notices to students, staff, and faculty. To keep current on upcoming events, job announcements, new course announcements, scholarships, internships, the SPH newsletter, or good opportunities, etc., students should check their email regularly.

3. Send official transcript and completed degree information

U.S. Institutions
If you were in the process of completing a degree at the time of application, we must receive an official transcript showing the degree conferred before you may register for classes in your program. Please have the official transcript(s) sent directly from the college/university to:

University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Student Services Center
MMC 819, Room A395 Mayo Building
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

If you choose you may send your degree conferred transcripts directly to SOPHAS using the Academic Update option. Please note this feature is open in SOPHAS from June 21, 2019 to July 20, 2019.

Note: If you are receiving your degree from the University of Minnesota, you do not need to have an official transcript sent. Simply notify us at when your degree has been posted.

Foreign Institutions
If you were in the process of completing a degree at the time of application, we must receive a World Education Services (WES) ICAP evaluation verifying the degree conferred and including WES verified copies of transcripts/credentials before you may register for classes in your program. Designate the University of Minnesota School of Public Health as the recipient of your evaluation.

The Temporary Waiver of Official Transcript form is for admitted students who need to register, but who have a hold for transcripts which prevents registration access. This form may be used one time only. After that, the hold will become active again. Complete the form and submit it directly to your Program Coordinator.

4. Get Insured

The student benefits office encourages students to turn in their certificate of coverage as soon as possible. You will be asked to enter your current health insurance information when you register for class, this does not waive you from the plan.

Your options are:

Student Health Benefit Plan
The University of Minnesota will no longer be offering the University-sponsored Academic Health Center (AHC) Student Health Benefit Plan (AHC-SHBP) and students who are eligible will now be enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP).

For more information please visit Office of Student Health Benefits.

An Individual Private Plan
Whether you’re insured through your employer, your parents, or another health insurance plan, you must provide proof of this insurance by applying for a waiver. See the waiver form and learn more.

5. Obtain required immunizations

All degree seeking students in the School of Public Health (SPH) are required to be immunization compliant and/or tests as a condition of enrollment. Programs must meet this Academic Health Center and University of Minnesota Board of Regents requirements. This expectation for health professionals is consistent with those of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

Learners must complete the following vaccination requirements prior to their program start date and maintain compliance through the length of the program. DEGREE SEEKING and GLOBAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE students are required to complete the following vaccinations:

  • Measles (rubeola), mumps and rubella (two doses), or positive titre; (University requirement)
  • Diptheria/Tetanus (Td) dose in the last ten (10) years; (University requirement)
  • Chicken pox (varicella) series, documented positive history, or positive titre;
  • Pertussis later than 2005;
  • Hepatitis B series or documented immunity;
  • Annual influenza;
  • Evidence of annual tuberculosis test, or in the case of a positive TB test, results of a normal chest x-ray dated after the TB test.

CERTIFICATE students (except students in the global health certificate program) must complete the following immunizations:

Minnesota law* requires all students born after December 31, 1956, enrolled in a Minnesota college or university to be immunized against the following:
Diphtheria/Tetanus—Td (dose within the past 10 years)
Measles—rubeola, red measles (2 doses after age 12 months)
Mumps—(2 doses after age 12 months)
Rubella—German measles (2 doses after age 12 months)
* If you graduated from a Minnesota high school after 1996 or attended a Minnesota post-secondary school you are exempt from the above requirements.

Detailed information can be found on the University of Minnesota Boynton Health Service website.

6. Complete your online HIPAA training

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 online training is required for all Academic Health Center students. Keep an eye on your UMN email for more information.

More about HIPAA

7. Register for classes

Registration for admitted students is completed through the University of Minnesota’s One Stop online registration system. Your program coordinator will send you an email with information regarding registration for your specific program.

Register at One Stop

8. International Student Requirements

All admitted international students requesting an F-1 or J-1 visa must complete and return a Financial Certification Statement before the University of Minnesota will issue the form I-20 on the student’s behalf.

Please return the completed form along with the following documents via email attachment (to or postal mail (do not fax):

  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of dependent(s)’ passport(s) (if applicable)
  • Transfer Release form (for students currently studying on an F-1 visa at another U.S. institution only)

Mailing address:

University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Student Services Center
MMC 819, Room A395 Mayo Bldg
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

All new international students must visit the University of Minnesota International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS) shortly after arrival in Minnesota. ISSS will review immigration documents, register new students for the International Student Orientation Program, and provide information on how to release registration holds. These processes are mandated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Learn more about the ISSS

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement